Geo location

There are no changes to legal requirements, but the updated guidance will help you understand how and when to submit a report under the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations (RIDDOR). 

Main changes to the guidance:

• more direct links to guidance on types of reportable incidents to help you decide whether a report is required
• improved guidance on who should and should not report under RIDDOR
• improved guidance on what is meant by a ‘work-related’ accident
• information on when an occupational disease is not reportable
• increased clarity on when an ‘over-7-day’ absence should be reported

Main changes to the forms:

• questions about severity of injuries have been frontloaded to help you quickly decide if your incident is reportable
• pop-up messages now redirect you if the incident is not reportable
• guidance has been improved to make the forms easier to use
• injured or affected people now have increased number of options when completing the gender field

Find the updated guidance on RIDDOR

Types of reportable incidents

If someone has died or has been injured because of a work-related accident, this may have to be reported under the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations (RIDDOR).

Not all accidents need to be reported – a RIDDOR report is only required when:

The accident is work related, and it results in a reportable injury

Reportable injuries

The following types of injury must be reported under RIDDOR.

The death of any person

With the exception of suicides, the death of any person must be reported if it resulted from a work-related accident.

If a person suffers a reportable work-related injury and dies due to that injury within one year (365 days), this must be reported as a work-related fatality.

There is no requirement to report the death of a self-employed person when it occurs in premises where they are the sole owner or occupier.

Specified, reportable injuries to workers

Regulation 4 of RIDDOR lists ‘specified injuries’ which must be reported:

  • fractures (other than to fingers, thumbs, and toes)
  • amputation of an arm, hand, finger, thumb, leg, foot or toe
  • any injury likely to cause permanent blinding or reduction in sight in one or both eyes
  • any crush injury to the head or torso causing damage to the brain or internal organs in the chest or abdomen
  • serious burns (including scalding) which:
    • cover more than 10% of the body
    • cause significant damage to the eyes, respiratory system, or other vital organs
  • any scalping requiring hospital treatment
  • any loss of consciousness caused by head injury or asphyxia
  • any other injury arising from working in an enclosed space which:
    • leads to hypothermia or heat-induced illness
    • requires resuscitation or admittance to hospital for more than 24 hours

You should refer to the detailed guidance on specified, reportable injuries.

Over-7-day incapacitation of a worker

Work-related accidents must be reported where they result in an employee (or self-employed person) being away from work, or unable to do their normal work duties, for more than 7 consecutive days as the result of their injury.

Where the worker’s injury or condition does not become apparent until some time after the accident, it must be reported as soon as it has prevented them from doing their normal work duties for more than 7 consecutive days.

This 7-day period does not include the day of the accident, but does include weekends and rest days. The report must be made within 15 days of the accident.

Some situations will include days when the injured person would not normally have been expected to work. You must take those days into account when deciding whether they were unable to do their normal duties for ‘more than 7 consecutive days’.

Over-3-day incapacitation

Accidents must be recorded where they result in a worker being away from work, or unable to do their normal work duties, for more than 3 consecutive days.

As an employer, you don’t need to report this type of accident – recording it in your accident book (under social security law) will be enough.

There is information on HSE’s accident book.

Non-fatal accidents to people other than workers

Accidents to members of the public or others who are not at work (such as customers or volunteers) must be reported if:

  • they involve work activity
  • they result in an injury
  • the person is taken directly from the scene of the accident to hospital for treatment to that injury

Examinations and diagnostic tests, such as X-rays, do not count as 'treatment'. However, you must report treatment that involves the person having:

  • a dressing applied
  • stitches
  • a plaster cast
  • surgery

There is no need to report incidents where people are taken to hospital purely as a precaution when no injury is apparent.

If the accident occurred at a hospital the report only needs to be made by the responsible person at the hospital if there is a specified injury.

News Archive




You must change your cookie consent to view this content

All documents and content on this website are subject to copyright and only to be used with the expressed permission of EC Safety Solutions Ltd